VirtualDayz

I explore media in transition. My research encompasses film, video, print, digital arts, and the web. I'm interested in what artists and writers are doing and in what critics and scholars are saying.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Musings: Orchestrating Life Narratives

It seems to me that when people think about who they are and what they’ve done, they often tend to compartmentalize. Of course there are times when this is appropriate, but too often this tactic masks synergistic relationships among the parts that are awaiting discovery. By connecting the dots, so to speak, and bringing into relation disparate elements, individuals may change the way they see themselves and at the same time recharge the set of skills on which they draw in their personal and professional lives. To put it another way, they could expand their repertoires.

I’m particularly interested in the implications such a relational approach has for the production of autobiographical and biographical texts, and I wonder how this model, when applied, affects the work of human memory. In my own case, whether I’m creating a self-portrait or portraying someone else, I like to orchestrate dynamic compositions.

Technorati tags: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 7:09 AM , Blogger The Coalition for Hanover's Future said...

    Hi Elayne,
    I followed the link you posted on the APH listserv. Your blog is content rich and useful! My academic background is in critical cultural theory, feminist film theory and production, lit crit, postmodernism etc. I straddle the theory/practice divide: I like to produce AND anaylze digital media. "Life caching" in all of its forms facscinates me.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home